Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course explored a variety of washi papers used in Japanese rare books. This course covered topics including the definition and history of Japanese paper along with its manufacturing methods and materials as well as how to distinguish the different types of washi. This course also explored variety of Japanese papermaking techniques focusing on the beautiful decorative papers used in books. This course also introduced how to examine washi papers.
2 weeks, 3 hours per week
Professor at Keio University's Institute of Oriental Classics
Lecturer at Gakushuin Women's College
- Explain the definition and history of washi paper.
- Classify washi paper by its production methods, materials, locations and purposes.
- Describe the basics of traditional papermaking processes and two types of sheet-forming processes in Japan.
- Investigate washi paper to identify its production method and material.
- Identify several different techniques to decorate the washi paper used in Japanese rare books including coloring, usage of minerals and fabrics as well as special processes at the sheet-forming stage.
- Explore the new possible usages of washi.
In Week 1:
- How to categorize washi paper.
- How the washi paper is crafted.
- What kind of materials are used to make washi.
- What you can tell by examining washipaper.
- The history of washi
In Week 2:
- How the washi is colored.
- How to decorate washi during the sheet-forming process
- Gorgeous papers decorated with minerals and fabrics
- Even more variety of decoration such as embossing and shita-e
Issued on 17th January 2022
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: