Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course explored the nature and practice of translation. Drawing on the latest research and with input from a variety of professionals, it covered the definition of translation, the role of the translator, where translation takes place, and the nature of quality in translation.
4 weeks, 4 hours per week
Professor of Translation Studies
- Explore the variety of definitions of translation and their implications, as well as common misconceptions.
- Collaborate with other learners to share examples of translation and interpreting drawn from daily life, and put them into context.
- Describe the diverse roles of translators, interpreters and localisers.
- Reflect on the spaces in which translation takes place and their bearing on practice.
- Design a commission or briefing for a translator/interpreter, ensuring that all the necessary components are in place.
- Evaluate differing conceptions of "quality" in translation.
- Definitions and metaphors of translation
- Varieties of translation, for example: phonetic, interlingual and cultural translation
- Translators in history
- The role of translators
- Professional ethics and codes of conduct
- Where translation takes place
- Writing a successful translation commission
- The nature of quality in translation
Issued on 17th November 2016
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This learner has not verified their identity. The certificate and transcript do not imply the award of credit or the conferment of a qualification from Cardiff University.
Free online course: