This learner has completed ID verification. Find out more.
Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This short online course delved deep into the evolution of the crime fiction genre from the early nineteenth century to the present day with a focus on detective novels. The topics covered included how these novels shaped the way we think about reading from the UK, US, Australia and beyond.
3 weeks, 3 hours per week
Professor John Fischetti
Pro Vice-Chancellor (College of Human and Social Futures)
The University of Newcastle Australia
- Discuss the history of crime fiction and some of the key crime fiction subgenres.
- Explore the key formal, thematic and contextual characteristic of individual crime fiction texts.
- Investigate crime fiction texts in relation to their genre and the idea of genre evolution.
- The early history of detective fiction
- Detective fiction sub-genres
- Reading detective fiction
- Plots and narrative structures
- Classic detective fiction devices
Issued on 12th March 2021
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: