Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This course explored the life, works, and posthumous reputation of Robert Burns. During the course, the learner investigated three core areas: Burns as radical, lover, and 'man of the people'; Burns as poet and songwriter; and Burns as cultural icon and international celebrity.
3 weeks, 4 hours per week
Francis Hutcheson Professor of Scottish Literature
The University of Glasgow
- Explore the poems, songs and legacy of Robert Burns
- Discuss the reputation of Burns as a national and international poet
- Collaborate with other learners in researching and mapping examples of Burns's global reach
- Develop an understanding of Burns's place in Scottish literary tradition
- Engage with diverse media related to the study of Burns, including poems, song recordings, videos, images, maps, and manuscripts
- The cultural reputation of Robert Burns as patriot, lover, and man of the people
- Robert Burns as poet and songwriter
- Major works such as ‘Scots Wha Hae’, ‘Ae Fond Kiss’, ‘A Man’s a Man’, ‘The Vision’, and ‘Auld Lang Syne’
- The commemoration of Burns in material culture
- The international celebrity and legacy of Burns
Issued on 13th August 2019
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: