This learner has completed ID verification. Find out more.
Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This course delivered an in-depth examination of vaccine development, looking specifically at the process for a COVID-19 vaccine. It explored how we know vaccines are safe for public use and used case studies to illustrate how they have been successful in controlling past infectious disease outbreaks. It discussed the different COVID-19 vaccine types and their relative advantages and disadvantages. It highlighted the importance of preventing future pandemics and how this is being achieved.
3 weeks, 2 hours per week
Dr Rajeka Lazarus
Consultant in Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, University Hospital Bristol
Academic Clinical Lecturer in Infection, University of Oxford
- Discuss why and when new vaccines are developed and identify the characteristics of an ideal vaccine
- Describe how new vaccines are developed and manufactured
- Explain how vaccine safety is assessed and monitored
- Explore the difference between vaccine efficacy and effectiveness, and understand how these are measured
- Identify how vaccines are used to control outbreaks and pandemics
- Investigate the different COVID-19 vaccine candidates and how they are being developed and tested
- Why and when new vaccines are developed
- How vaccines are developed and manufactured
- How vaccines are tested to ensure they are safe prior to being deployed
- How vaccines are assessed to see if they are effective at preventing infection or disease
- The role of vaccines in controlling infectious disease outbreaks and pandemics
- The different COVID-19 vaccine candidates to date and how they are being developed and tested
This course has been approved by the Royal College of Pathologists at a level of 6 credits.
Issued on 6th February 2021
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: