Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
University of Oslo and Scholars at Risk
This online course explored the importance of free and open research and how it relates to core higher education and societal values. Participants learned about different understandings of academic freedom and challenges to academic freedom in various contexts.
3 weeks, 3 hours per week
Scholars at Risk
- Explain the meaning of academic freedom and related values and how these values interrelate
- Identify challenges and threats to academic freedom in different contexts
- Assess how academic freedom can be promoted and defended
- Demonstrate the importance of academic freedom to the development of society
- Traditional and socially engaged definitions of academic freedom
- Academic freedom in relation to other core higher education values
- The limits to what is covered by academic freedom
- Threats to academic freedom in different settings
- Consequences of threats to academic freedom
- The importance of academic freedom to democratic societies
- How you can contribute to strengthening core higher education values at your home institution and in partnerships
- How you can assess and react to incidents relating to the core higher education values
Issued on 28th May 2020
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: