This learner has completed ID verification. Find out more.
Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This course explored the screenwriting process, including basic theory, script analysis and practical exercises. We learned key principles and applied the concepts necessary to write an effective screenplay and be fluent in the language used to discuss the form.
2 weeks, 3 hours per week
Lecturer and Tutor in Scriptwriting
UEA (University of East Anglia)
- Explore key issues in the practice of creating screenplays
- Explain the basic principles of the screenwriting process
- Identify the essentials of the screenplay format
- Discuss the construction of a professional script
- Design a story 'pitch'
- Basic characteristics of screen story
- Development of a basic storyline
- Story structures including The Three Act Structure and alternate story structures.
- Characters and developing character outlines
- The construction of scenes including the role of dialogue and character voice
- The workflow for writing a first draft of feature film screenplay
- The process for screenplay formatting
- Writing – and finishing – a first draft
Issued on 22nd January 2018
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This learner has verified their identity. For more information about how FutureLearn verifies identities, visit futurelearn.com/verification/how-it-works. The certificate and transcript do not imply the award of credit or the conferment of a qualification from UEA (University of East Anglia).
Free online course: