Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This course explored some of the most common food controversies: Alternative proteins; Palm oil; and Probiotics. The course covered topics including insects as protein for human consumption, the wide variety of products palm oil is found in, and the history of probiotics and their benefits to human health.
3 weeks, 3 hours per week
Dr. Maarten van der Kamp
Director of education
Dr. Andrew Ainslie
University of Reading
- Demonstrate knowledge of three topical food controversies that affect human health, welfare and the environment
- Reflect on your own food preferences and make better informed decisions about which products to buy for yourself and your family
- Justify your choices and engage others, contributing to improvements in industry practice and an overall better understanding of the food system amongst consumers
- Interpret news reports, apply critical thinking and be proficient at analysing media coverage of food controversies
- Reflect on the perspectives of different stakeholders and recognise the myriad challenges and trade-offs such a complex system creates
Each week focuses on one controversy, explains what it is and how it is understood by differently situated stakeholders in the food sector. Learners are encouraged (as consumers) to take a critical stance on the different perspectives held by different stakeholders and adjust their practice accordingly.
Week 1: Introduction and Alternative Proteins
- What do we mean by the term ‘controversies’?
- Assessing the reliability of different sources of information.
- Overview of alternative proteins (especially insects as protein for human consumption).
- The pros and cons of alternative proteins and why they’re needed.
Week 2: Palm oil in food and related products
- Discover the wide variety of products palm oil is found in.
- Understand the issues at stake, from the perspectives of nutrition, the environment and worker welfare.
- Find out how industry is adapting its practices.
Week 3: The use of probiotics
- The history of probiotics and their benefits to human health.
- Learn about the processes involved in probiotic development, from discovery to product certification.
- Gain confidence in analyzing advertisements and health claims.
In association with
Issued on 1st December 2019
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: