This learner has completed ID verification. Find out more.
Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This online course explored the causes and impact of food waste focusing on how consumer can act and inspire others to reduce food waste effectively and sustainably. The course covered topics including the difference between food loss and food waste, the environmental, social and economic impacts of food waste and the effect on climate change.
3 weeks, 3 hours per week
Maarten van der Kamp
Director of Education
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
University of Reading
- Evaluate the causes of food loss and food waste and assess the effect on the planet in terms of food security, sustainability and climate change
- Reflect on your own personal contribution to the problem and explore the potential of the waste hierarchy and the circular economy to suggest solutions
- Investigate how changes in the way we shop, cook and store food can help reduce food waste
- Collaborate to produce actionable changes that can make an impact on your own community
- Compare the practices of different retailers and discover the innovations that are helping them to reduce waste
- Engage with the policies of national governments and the EU and help improve the sustainability of the food system in your country
- The difference between food loss and food waste
- The environmental, social and economic impacts of food waste and the effect on climate change
- How common retail systems and the expectation of abundance and choice has resulted in the current situation
- Practical ideas for reducing food waste at home
- Innovative products and services that will help reduce waste in supermarkets
- How to lobby governments and national organisations to effect change
In association with
Issued on 2nd December 2020
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: