This learner has completed ID verification. Find out more.
Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
This course explored the emergence of early modern science. The course offered an overview on the most important conceptual transformations that the study of the natural world underwent during the period. By fostering a historically-informed reflection on a number of philosophical, methodological and historical aspects, the course contextualises the evolution of modern science within the broader social, religious and historical transformations occurring during the seventeenth century.
3 weeks, 3 hours per week
Assistant Professor in Philosophy
University of Groningen
- Reflect on the historical background of your own scientific discipline by tracing it back to its seventeenth-century roots
- Interpret texts about scientific practices of the past
- Engage critically with ideas about the overall role and meaning of scientific disciplines and practices
- Produce a short blog post about the historical background of your discipline
- Understanding ‘science’
- Aristotelian ‘science’ vs. the ‘new’ science
- Experience, experiments and instruments
- The role of scientific hypotheses
- Science and society
- Science, religion and secularisation
Issued on 17th June 2021
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: