Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
University of Leicester and De Montfort University
This online course explores the sociology and history of football, with a focus on Leicester City Football Club and their successful 2015/16 season. The course covered the origins of football, from early clubs to professional leagues and European competition; the role of the media and formation of the Premier League; and how LCFC rose from 5,000-1 outsiders to Premier League Champions.
4 weeks, 3 hours per week
University of Leicester
Senior Research Fellow
De Montfort University
- Summarise key points in the history of football, from its roots to the Premier League
- Evaluate the role football plays in society, from fans to local and international communities
- Debate economic influences and motivations in modern football
- Discuss the current state of football, and its role in society
- A history of football from early leagues and formats, through to the present day.
- The influence of the media, and European football, on the English game.
- The social impact of football: on fans and communities, through disaster and euphoria.
- A history of the World Cup, from origins to Russia 2018
- A case study of one Premier League club, looking in detail at their folk history and modern success.
- A detailed look at Leicester City Football Club’s remarkable ‘great escape’ and title-winning season 2015-16.
- An examination of the present state of football, and how it might change in the future.
Issued on 17th January 2022
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: