Certificate of Achievement
has completed the following course:
The British Empire was the largest empire ever seen. It ruled over a quarter of the world’s population and paved the way for today’s global economy. But British imperialism isn’t without controversy, and it continues to cause enormous disagreement among historians today. This course explored the controversies and encouraged participants to develop their own understanding and perspectives by joining in the debate.
6 weeks, 3 hours per week
Professor Richard Toye
University of Exeter
- Identify key themes through which the controversies of British Imperialism can be explored
- Demonstrate an understanding of the complexities of British Imperialism through debate and contributions to the learning community
- Develop your understanding of British imperialism
- The relationship between Empire and money
- The nature of violence within Empire
- The connection between race, religion and British imperialism
- The role of women in Empire and how attitudes to sex influenced British imperialism
- The significance of British imperial culture
- British decolonisation and the concept of ‘neo-imperialism’
Issued on 1st February 2020
The person named on this certificate has completed the activities in the transcript above. For more information about Certificates of Achievement and the effort required to become eligible, visit futurelearn.com/proof-of-learning/certificate-of-achievement.
This certificate represents proof of learning. It is not a formal qualification, degree, or part of a degree.
Free online course: