This course will investigate and interpret how different policy approaches and instruments may align with alternative political theory approaches, with a resultant propensity for differing forms of emergency and disaster intervention.
The course will also consider a range of case study disasters, in order to provide you with the opportunity to practice what you have learned, and to prepare you, specifically, for your coursework assignments.
Reviewing the identification of issues and problem formulation, in the context of a case study disaster.
Reviewing the concept of integrated emergency management and its application to a case study disaster.
Reviewing the concept of framing and its application by different stakeholders to a case study disaster.
Reviewing political theories of the state and undertaking a comparative application of those theories to a case study disaster.
Reviewing different emergency and disaster intervention policy approaches and measures congruent with alternative political theories of the state.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply policy analysis in respect of case study emergencies and disasters.
- Apply the concept of Integrated Emergency Management to case study emergencies and disasters.
- Investigate and interpret case study emergencies/disasters using political theories of the state.
- Explain how different policy approaches and policy instruments, applied to emergencies and disasters, may align with alternative political theory approaches.
- Evaluate differing emergency and disaster policies and outcomes within their social, economic and political context.
- Evaluate the extent to which different political theory perspectives may support resilience to emergencies and disasters.
Who is the course for?
Students enrolled on Integrated Emergency Management, part of the Coventry University Online MSc in Emergency Management and Resilience.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.