References and extended reading
If you would like to take your interest in this week’s topics further, the books listed below are recommended reading and we have referred to most of them during the course.
For some of them, you will probably need access to a good library — but you will be able to find many of the titles commercially online, and second-hand copies are often available at very reasonable prices. The links here take you to Amazon.co.uk.
Comprehensive works on the Battle of Agincourt and Henry’s French campaign
- Curry, A. 1415 Agincourt. A New History (Stroud: The History Press, 2015)
- Curry, A., Hoskins, P., Richardson, T. and Spencer, D. The Agincourt Companion (André Deutsch Limited, 2015)
- Curry, A. and Mercer, M. The Battle of Agincourt (New Haven: Yale University press, 2015)
- Curry, A. Great Battles: Agincourt (OUP, 2015)
The Hundred Years War
- Sumption, J. Cursed Kings: The Hundred Years War IV (Faber & Faber, 2015)
- Allmand, C. Henry V (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2013)
- Curry, A. Henry V (Penguin Monarchs, 2015)
Armour and equipment
- Prestwich, M. Armies and Warfare in the Middle Ages: The English Experience (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1999)
- Richardson, T. ‘Armour in Henry V’s Great Wardrobe’, Arms and Armour, 12 (2015), pp. 22-9
- Capwell, T. Armour of the English Knight (Thomas del Mar Ltd, 2015)
The English Army
- Bell, A.R., Curry, A., King, A. and Simpkin, D. The Soldier in Later Medieval England (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013)
- Curry, A. Agincourt 1415: The Archer’s Story (Stroud: Tempus, 2008)
Transporting the army
- Lambert, C. Shipping the Medieval Military. English Maritime Logistics in the Fourteenth Century (Woodbridge: Boydell Press, 2015)
The Southampton Plot
- Pugh, T. B., Henry V and the Southampton Plot of 1415 (Southampton: Southampton University Press, 1988)
- Curry, A. The Battle of Agincourt: Sources and Interpretations (Woodbridge: Boydell Press, 2009)
- Given-Wilson, C. Chronicles: The Writings of History in Medieval England (London: Cambridge University Press, 2004)
Killing of the prisoners
- Ambühl, R. Prisoners of war in the Hundred Years War (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2015)
Henry’s return to England
- Coldstream, N. ‘Pavilion’d in Splendour’: Henry V’s Agincourt Pageants’, Journal of the British Archaeological Association, 165 (2012), 153-171.
Finding the location of the battlefield
Sutherland, T. The Battle of Agincourt. An Alternative Location?, Journal of Conflict Archaeology, 1 (2006), pp. 245-65.
Sutherland, T. ‘The Battlefield’, in Curry A. and Mercer, M. (eds), The Battle of Agincourt (Yale UP, 2015), pp. 190-201.
© University of Southampton 2015