Data and data sources
So, what constitutes data within the context of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and what role do sources play in analyses performed by Machine Learning (ML) or AI?
We can have our own data, which we gather, record and decide how to format. Then there’s data from other sources (for example, suppliers and customers) but these are outside our control:
- Do they record their data at all? In what format, how often, to what accuracy, etc?
- Will they share it, is it free, are there ethical considerations?
- Will they adapt their data collection to our needs?
- If external, is the data source credible? Does the data pass the CRAAP test, which checks the reliability of sources across academic disciplines (CRAAP is an acronym for Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy, and Purpose)?
- Who wants our data? Customers, suppliers, competitors?
- What format do they want, to what accuracy, how often etc?
- Can we share it, do we want to give it away or sell it: if so, what are the ethical considerations?
- Can we adapt our data collection to the needs of these other sources, or will they adapt to our data?
How do these considerations relate to the data and analyses required for the milk supply chain?
© Coventry University. CC BY-NC 4.0