Alternative Proteins as Food Ingredients
Duration 4 weeks
Weekly study 5 hours
Premium course $624 What's included?
These could be the protein sources of the future
Popular awareness of alternative protein sources has grown dramatically over the last few years. Making new proteins from plants, microorganisms and insects will be essential for feeding 10 billion people sustainably by 2050.
On this course you’ll explore these new protein sources, and how they can be used in new products. Ultimately you’ll gain an understanding of the chemical, biological and nutritional fundamentals of proteins, how they can be derived from various sources - and the various consumer issues that may affect their adoption.
Educators will facilitate from 3-28 June 2019.
What topics will you cover?
Over a series of in-depth videos, this course covers:
- Fundamentals of Proteins
- New protein sources (Cereal proteins, proteins from pulses, insect proteins, microbial proteins and proteins from microalgae)
- The issue of protein fractionation and isolation
- Technofunctionality & Application Scenarios (Interfacial behavior, network formation and texturing of alternative proteins)
- Application scenarios (Mimicking fat systems, protein enriched beverages, texture and mouthfeel of alternative proteins)
- Nutritional aspects I (Proteins in human physiology, allergenicity of proteins)
- Nutritional aspects II (Adverse reactions to cereal proteins)
- The consumers view and consumer adoption behavior
- Round table discussion: Key messages & Future Perspectives on Use of Alternative Proteins
Who is the course for?
This course would suit professionals in the food sector working in small, medium or large enterprises, globally. It would be of particular interest to raw material providers and ingredient companies - as well as businesses that design new products (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, or ethical foods).
Who will you learn with?
EIT Food is Europe’s leading food innovation initiative, with the aim to create a sustainable and future-proof food sector.
This is a premium course. These courses are designed for professionals from specific industries looking to learn with a smaller group of like-minded individuals.