Antimicrobial Stewardship in Veterinary Practice
Duration 3 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $74 Find out more
Learn how to improve antimicrobial stewardship as a veterinary nurse or surgeon
Vets and human health professionals both have a responsibility to address the challenge of antimicrobial stewardship. Veterinary nurses, surgeons and pharmacists need the skills to prescribe antibiotics rationally and responsibly.
On this interactive course, you’ll challenge the norms of veterinary prescribing and gain the tools needed to introduce good antimicrobial stewardship practices in your own context. You will explore the challenges of monitoring responsible medicine use and relevant solutions. You will gain the confidence needed to instil change in your own veterinary practice.
What topics will you cover?
- Risks for and mechanisms of antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
- Veterinary prescribing behaviour, antimicrobial use and AMR: external influences and internal motivations
- Species-specific challenges to good antimicrobial stewardship
- Clinical governance and monitoring antimicrobial prescribing patterns
- Evidence-based veterinary medicine and best-practice prescribing
- Antimicrobial stewardship in practice: Strategies for motivating change towards more responsible antimicrobial use
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is for veterinary surgeons, nurses and pharmacists with a basic clinical knowledge of antimicrobial prescribing practice. The course has a focus on the UK context but can be applied internationally.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #VetAMS to talk about this course on social media.