Chart the progress of an archaeological excavation from dig to lab and beyond.
We’ll show you around our field school at the Vale of Pewsey, a relatively untouched site compared to its famous neighbour, Stonehenge.
An excavation is more than just digging with a trowel. You’ll investigate how and where to dig, collect, record and store precious finds and take a closer look at what you can learn from a discovery once you’ve found it.
One of the most intriguing finds of all is a burial site and you’ll examine the archaeological methods employed in the study of the dead. How can you recreate the life, health and occupation of an individual just from their skeletal remains?
- The transferable skills needed to be an archaeologist
- Introduction to the Neolithic period
- Planning an excavation
- How does a dig work?
- Storing, handling, recording and transporting artefacts
- Introduction to the medieval period
- Human bone analysis
- Archaeological science: what can isotopes in bone tell us?
- Museums: the ethics of storage and display
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain how an archaeological dig works, from the planning stages, through excavation, to the analysis and storage of artefacts
- Summarise the basic characteristics of all archaeological periods from the Mesolithic to the post-medieval period (c.8000 BC–AD 1900)
- Describe the main ways in which archaeologists analyse human skeletons
- Debate some of the key issues facing archaeology today
- Understand the transferable skills you will acquire from studying archaeology
Who is the course for?
No prior experience of archaeology is needed. This course is designed for anyone interested in studying an archaeology degree at university. However, anyone with an enthusiastic interest in archaeology is very welcome to join us too.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Get a taste of this course
Find out what this course is like by previewing some of the course steps before you join:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLdigtolab to talk about this course on social media.