- Duration6 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
Assessment for Learning in STEM Teaching
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Assessment for Learning (AfL) is a term that’s widely used in education, but applied in ways that are variable in their effectiveness. This free online course - designed for STEM teachers in primary and secondary schools, and sixth form and further education colleges - will help you understand and use it more effectively.
Enjoy your teaching more
As the course progresses, you’ll be encouraged to try things out in your laboratory and classroom; actively reflect on what you discover in the process; and share your experience as part of the course discussions.
You’ll also be invited to read some of the scientific literature about Assessment for Learning. Your learners will gain as a result - and you’ll enjoy your teaching more.
- The key principles of Assessment for Learning.
- Intentional dialogue.
- Hinge-point questions.
- Questioning as a source of evidence.
- Acting on the evidence.
- Evolving your practice teaching in a formative way.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the main principles of Assessment for Learning
- Assess some of the research literature about Assessment for Learning
- Reflect on the role of intentional dialogue in supporting teaching in a formative way
- Explain the key characteristics of a hinge-point question
- Improve ability to create hinge-point questions through a peer review design and evaluation process
- Contribute to a crowd-sourced repository of hinge-point questions
- Collaborate with peers, educators and mentors to try out activities and share thinking in order to help shift practice
- Evaluate a range of practical ideas that can be used to elicit evidence from students
- Collect and analyse evidence from students on changes implemented in the classroom in order to critically reflect on own practice in order to prioritise next steps in own development
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for English-speaking teachers of STEM subjects in primary and secondary schools, and sixth form and FE colleges. It’s also relevant to trainee teachers; teacher trainers; those thinking about a career in STEM teaching; and developers of STEM-related course materials.
It is a CPD course for people who, in the main, have a degree level qualification, or who are in the process of obtaining one.