Develop your English for a range of everyday situations
On this course you will build your English skills. You will develop your use of English in a wider range of everyday situations and grow your listening ability.
You will develop your English skills by hearing people speak in a range of situations, and you will test your knowledge by writing short responses to simple discussion questions.
By the end of the course you will feel more confident in your ability to speak and understand basic English.
If you would prefer an easier course, please try Basic English: Elementary.
- Asking for directions
- Describing your town and where you live
- Talking about your daily routine and activities
- Talking about technology
- Language for shopping and other daily tasks
- Language for preparing for University
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify language associated with everyday situations, such as studying, shopping, and talking about time and schedules
- Develop confidence in key language items useful in a range of different scenarios
- Apply language skills for everyday conversations
- Demonstrate understanding of relevant language that can help the learner progress along the path to studying at a university
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for refugees, displaced people and the communities supporting them in the MENA (Middle East and Northern Africa) region who want to learn English for studying and for work. It has been created as part of the PADILEIA project.
However, it will also be of interest to anyone looking to develop their skills in basic English.
We recommend learners have a minimum of CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) A2 to get the most from this course.
Supported by UK aid - Strategic Partnerships for Higher Education, Innovation and Reform
King's College London are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLpreintermediateenglish to talk about this course on social media.