Contact FutureLearn for Support
Skip main navigation
We use cookies to give you a better experience, if that’s ok you can close this message and carry on browsing. For more info read our cookies policy.
We use cookies to give you a better experience. Carry on browsing if you're happy with this, or read our cookies policy for more information.
Sign which says 'Don't panic'

What is shock?

The commonest type of shock is called hypovolemic shock - this occurs due to loss of fluids, usually blood. The body begins to go into shock when more than 2 pints of blood has been lost. It is life-threatening and requires immediate management! Here are some of the features which suggest shock is present in order to help you to recognize it.

Immediate:

Quick heart rate (feel at wrist)

Pale skin and cold, sweaty hands

Worsening:

Quick and shallow breathing

Weakening of pulse at wrist

Blue/grey skin - check lips and fingertips

Weakness and drowsiness

Nausea and vomiting

Extreme thirst

Critical:

Change in behaviour e.g. aggressive

Gasping for a breath

Complete loss of consciousness

Death!

Now that you have a better understanding of what shock is, in the next step you will learn more about how to deal with it.

Share this article:

This article is from the free online course:

Basic First Aid: How to Be an Everyday Hero

University of Glasgow