In dealing with shock there are some key things that is important to remember.
1. TREAT - Check for any obvious cause (bleeding) and aim to treat it. Call 999 for emergency help!
2. FLOOR - Lie casualty down on back, preferably on a soft and warm surface (e.g. a blanket)
3. RAISE - Lift casualty’s legs up and hold in position to improve blood supply to vital organs
4. WARM - Undo tight clothing but cover the casualty in warm jumpers or blankets
5. MONITOR - Keep an eye on casualty’s consciousness, breathing and heart rate until help arrives
Give the casualty food or drink - they may need an anaesthetic at a later stage
Leave casualty unattended
Attempt to warm casualty with a direct heat source
© University of Glasgow, 2017