Weekly study4 hours
Brain and Behavior: Regulating Body Weight
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Explore the environmental and biological factors that regulate our body weight.
Many complex factors are involved in the regulation of body weight and control of food intake. This course explores how body weight is influenced by external and internal stimuli, and how these stimuli interact or influence one another. By the end of the course you will be able to discuss the meaning of energy homeostasis, describe the physiological factors that influence hunger and fullness, explain how environmental stimuli influence eating, and summarize how our genes interact with the environment to influence body weight.
What topics will you cover?
The course explored how our body weight is influenced by:
- Environmental factors
- Social factors
- Learned behaviors
- Biological factors
- Central nervous system
- Hormonal influence
- Genetic influence and genetic disorders
- Gene-environment interaction
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss the meaning of homeostasis
- Describe the physiological factors that influence hunger and fullness
- Explain how environmental stimuli influence eating
- Summarise how our genes interact with the environment to influence body weight
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for everyone from individuals interested in learning more about their personal health to those with a background in basic biological processes who what to expand their knowledge. No prior experience or qualifications is necessary.
Who will you learn with?
Kimberly Kinzig is a member of the Psychological Sciences faculty at Purdue University. Her research examines the neuroendocrinology of obesity, eating disorders, and their effects on behavior.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLbodyweight to talk about this course on social media.