Skip to 0 minutes and 6 secondsSo far, we've learned about the benefits of healthy eating for young children. And you have investigated the healthy eating guidelines where you live. We have looked at healthy eating at the various stages in childhood. We have also learned about how to improve eating patterns and taking with us some skills to identify healthy foods and how to modify our recipes to make them healthier. But nutrition is just one part of tackling childhood obesity. In the coming weeks, we will learn about what other components make up the complete picture.
Skip to 0 minutes and 43 secondsFirst up next week, we will be looking at physical activity and what role it can play to keep our children healthy and to minimize the chance of them developing health problems down the track.
Week 1 Summary
Congratulations on completing week one of our course.
This week, we:
- touched the surface of the complex obesity epidemic facing young children around the world today
- were presented with alarming statistics regarding an increase in the global prevalence of obesity
- learned that although the causes of overweight and obesity in children are complex
- explored a range of guidelines for healthy eating
- gathered recipes for healthy snacks
- shared strategies for making fruit and vegetables more attractive to young children.
Next week we will consider the ways that a child’s level and type of physical activity can impact upon their health and well-being. We will investigate the role that physical activity plays in the obesity epidemic and will gain strategies for tackling common issues and factors contributing to poor outcomes for young children in this area.
Join us on the next stage of the journey as we learn more about how to prevent childhood obesity and provide all children with the best early start to a healthy life.
Week 2 is ready to begin. Click on the Mark as complete circle below and click here to move on to Week 2.