This course is part of the Coaching Skills: Sports Coaching and Leadership ExpertTrack
Coaching Skills: The mental game
Understand how to coach the ‘mental game’ by investigating and managing the impact of fear, flow and focus on performance.
Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 5 of 5
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Coaching Skills: The mental game
Understand how mental fitness affects your team
An athlete’s performance is dependent on more than their physical skills; it also extends into their mental strength.
On this two-week course, you’ll discover how you can help your team enhance their A-game by knowing how to coach the mental game.
Distractions outside of a game, known as B-factors, can affect how an athlete performs, which is where coaching athletes mentally pays off. You’ll identify key elements of the mental game and learn how to apply frameworks, principles and strategies to improve an athlete’s mental fitness to get them into the ‘zone’.
Learn how to promote a positive team culture
Culture is a primary mental conditioner that can affect an athlete’s performance and development.
As a coach, you’re responsible for establishing a positive team culture to encourage growth. You’ll explore how you can create ideal mindsets in your athletes by creating an empowering culture, and adapting a servant leadership and athlete-centred approach.
Apply your skills to business or sports coaching
By the end of this course, you’ll understand how to reflect on your coaching practice, either in business or sports, and apply what you have learned to enhance your team’s performance.
You’ll learn how to develop a supportive environment that helps your athlete’s maximise their potential, as you understand how to coach the mental game.
What topics will you cover?
- The thinking and the instinctive brain and their separate functions in key moments of performance
- The performance equation
- Ways of enhancing players’ A-game
- Dealing with the B-factors (situations and conditions)
- The impact of past-present-future on players’ performance
- The ‘zone.’
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify elements of the mental game
- Explain key features of the thinking and the instinctive brain and their separate functions in key moments of performance
- Apply frameworks, principles and strategies for coaching athletes' mental game
- Reflect on your coaching practice incorporating insights gained through the course
Who is the course for?
This course will suit you if you have an interest in sports or business coaching, or you’re already working in the area and want to expand your skills.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn