Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Communicating with Diverse Audiences
Learn to interpret different varieties of English and avoid communication bias
Communication with diverse audiences is necessary for many professions.
You may face communication barriers when talking to people with a different cultural background, who speak different varieties of English, or who don’t share your life experiences and professional practices.
On this course, you’ll learn how different values or expectations, and different varieties of English can pose challenges to effective communication.
You’ll learn to make conscious decisions about the way you use language in interpersonal interactions and how to communicate more effectively through a range of strategies.
During this course you will cover the following subjects:
Week 1: The role of culture and language in communication
Week 2: Language and unconscious bias
Week 3: Using English as a lingua franca with speakers from different linguistic backgrounds
Week 4: Using language to establish interpersonal relationships
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the layers and facets of culture and of other possible influences on communication practices
- Assess which factors influence how they and others communicate
- Reflect critically on their own and others' communicative behaviours to avoid unconscious bias
- Describe different varieties of English and reflect critically on their own position as an English speaker
- Apply a range of new strategies to establish rapport and achieve desired goals
- Explain how language can be used to build interpersonal relationships
- Evaluate the effectiveness of their communicative repertoire
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for professionals looking to improve their ability to communicate across linguistic and cultural boundaries.
Recommended for learners age 16+
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.