Learn to interpret different varieties of English and avoid communication bias
Communication with diverse audiences is necessary for many professions.
You may face communication barriers when talking to people with a different cultural background, who speak different varieties of English, or who don’t share your life experiences and professional practices.
On this course, you’ll learn how different values or expectations, and different varieties of English can pose challenges to effective communication.
You’ll learn to make conscious decisions about the way you use language in interpersonal interactions and how to communicate more effectively through a range of strategies.
What topics will you cover?
During this course you will cover the following subjects:
Week 1: The role of culture and language in communication
Week 2: Language and unconscious bias
Week 3: Using English as a lingua franca with speakers from different linguistic backgrounds
Week 4: Using language to establish interpersonal relationships
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the layers and facets of culture and of other possible influences on communication practices
- Assess which factors influence how they and others communicate
- Reflect critically on their own and others' communicative behaviours to avoid unconscious bias
- Describe different varieties of English and reflect critically on their own position as an English speaker
- Apply a range of new strategies to establish rapport and achieve desired goals
- Explain how language can be used to build interpersonal relationships
- Evaluate the effectiveness of their communicative repertoire
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for professionals looking to improve their ability to communicate across linguistic and cultural boundaries.
Recommended for learners age 16+
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLDiverseAudiences to talk about this course on social media.