Learn about contract management and business relationships in a course backed by UK government & World Commerce & Contracting
Weekly study3 hours
Contract Management: Building Relationships in Business
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Investigate the world of business contracts
Struggling to understand business contracts at work? Try our free 3-week online course to understand contract management processes, gain the confidence to develop new contracts and build successful business relationships.
Contracts are fundamental to business activities and relationships are fundamental to all contracts. Learn all about the intricacies of contract management today.
Manage contracts successfully
Over three weeks, you will realise the importance, complexity and challenges of designing and delivering good contracts. You will learn how your objectives and those of your customer/client can be achieved in an effective way to minimise possible threats or failures.
Understand the nuances of business relationships
In this course, we’ll explore relationship fundamentals and complexities that relate to business contracts.
This will involve asking what can go right or wrong in relationships; examining the rules that govern public and private sector procurement, and asking how you can make the right decisions for your customers and clients.
We will look at the complex supply chains and networks that are a feature of many contracts, learning how to manage interdependencies and the needs of multiple stakeholders.
Discover more about business contracts with real-life examples
The final part of the course will bring the above ideas together, using an example scenario (the challenge of building your own house) to put theory into practice.
You can find out how this course helped the career of Laylo, a Contracts Manager at ZTE Investment Foreigner Enterprise, in her learner story.
(Course image: derivative work based on silhouettes © Nevena Radonja/Shutterstock.)
What topics will you cover?
- Commercial relationships and the pitfalls to avoid in contracting
- The rules and regulations that govern business, trade and public procurement and how this can affect behaviour
- Understanding customers and designing a business case and subsequent delivery and support system around their needs
- Contracts exist in chains and networks. Managing interdependency and business relationships
- Ensuring that stakeholders are engaged
- The role of negotiation and how to be in the best position to make Win-Win negotiations a reality
- Managing risk and identifying ‘unknown unknowns’
- Examining what innovation is and how it can be fostered
- Introducing the top attributes of successful contracts and the new skill sets that will be required in the future
- Understand the benefits contract simplification and visualization can bring to your contracting relationships
- Understand why there is a growing use of performance and outcome-based contracting models
When would you like to start?
Date to be announced
Add to Wishlist to be emailed when new dates are announced
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore what can go right or wrong in relationships
- Debate how the rules and regulations that govern public and private sector procurement can affect behaviour
- Identify ways you can ensure that what you buy (or sell) is what you and your customer / client really needs
- Engage in a stakeholder analysis activity by sharing your own ideas and providing feedback on others
- Explore your supplier relationships and compare what your fellow learners are doing more or less of than in your own organisation
- Reflect on what actions you will now take to learn more about the course topics and take the lessons forward into your workplace
Who is the course for?
This free online course is designed for anyone who wants to better understand what is involved in commercial business relationships, and the process of managing contractual agreements.
It is suitable for those working in the public, private and third sectors.
What do people say about this course?
Who will you learn with?
Professor of Purchasing and Supply Management. Using theory and practice to make business better is what excites me.
Tim Cummins is a Professor at the University of Leeds School of Law and founder and President of World Commerce & Contracting, a global, non-profit professional association
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLcontracts to talk about this course on social media.