Weekly study2 hours
Creating Moments of Joy for People with Alzheimer’s
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Understand how to create moments of joy for people with Alzheimer's
When someone has short-term memory loss their life is made up of moments. This means we cannot always create a wonderful day, but we can create a wonderful moment.
On this course you’ll find out how to encourage and enjoy such wonderful moments. You’ll get practical tips to ease the daily struggles of Alzheimer’s for those living with it, and those helping them. Ultimately you will learn how to look beyond the challenges of the disease and focus on creating the best possible life for those living with Alzheimer’s.
What topics will you cover?
- Understanding the person
- What age are they in their mind?
- Live their truth
- I want to go home
- Stop correcting them
- Your mood affects their mood
- Taking care of the caretaker
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Summarise why all conversation needs to focus on memories that someone with Alzheimer's has left
- Describe ways to trigger memories for someone with Alzheimer's
- Develop strategies for determining the age the person with Alzheimer's is living in their mind
- Describe ways to make a person with Alzheimer's feel like everything is okay in this moment
- Identify three questions to ask yourself before correcting or contradicting a person with Alzheimer's
- Explain how your mood affects the mood of someone with Alzheimer's
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone caring for someone with Alzheimer’s disease, or anyone who wants to know more about dealing with the effects of the disease. You don’t need any past experience.
Who will you learn with?
Author of the best selling book, Creating Moments of Joy, and a celebrated nationwide speaker on Alzheimer's, Jolene is using her passion, wisdom, and humor to help create moments of joy for all.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLmomentsofjoy to talk about this course on social media.