Weekly study6 hours
An Introduction to Cryptography
Investigate the security of encrypted data
Is it possible to prove the security of encrypted data? Will every algorithm fail given sufficient time or computing power?
On this course you will get an introduction to cryptography and cryptanalysis. From ancient examples of secret messages and the spies that cracked them to modern cryptographic applications, you will have the opportunity to explore the foundations of data security.
During the course you will also get an opportunity to try encrypting data yourself by completing a cryptography and cryptanalysis challenge.
- The mathematical concepts underpinning cryptography
- Classical cryptography and historical ciphers
- The basics of cryptanalysis
- Random number generation
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explain the concepts used in early substitution and translation ciphers
- Apply cryptanalysis methods to simple ciphers
- Assess simple cryptographic methods from a practical and theoretical viewpoint
- Describe the concepts of entropy, pseudorandomness and unicity
- Demonstrate the use of hashing, salt and nonces in a variety of applications
Who is the course for?
The Institute of Coding supported the development of this course in response to consultation with industry representatives from the healthcare, manufacturing and automotive sectors.
This course is for people who want to understand more about the way cryptography keeps our communications safe, either out of curiosity or to prepare for advanced study of the topic.
Please note that the individuals detailed in the ‘Who will you learn with?’ section below, are current staff members and may be subject to change.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.