Our comfort zone
When was the last time when we could honestly answer that we pushed ourselves and made a risky decision? It is very easy to get stuck in a routine, to stick to what is comfortable and to avoid being challenged in leadership.
When we challenge ourselves:
- It becomes easier to deal with change as we become more comfortable with it
- It becomes easier to push boundaries as we learn to better manage uncertainty
- We gain insight into new perspectives that we have not had in the past
- We become more creative as we begin to see things that others have overlooked
- We become more productive as we find a drive and determination to do more
What will you now do to step outside of your comfort zone, to go and ‘experience experience’? This is not about finding the most uncomfortable experience, it is about doing something you would not normally do.
Here are some ideas to start your thinking
- Go vegetarian for a week
- Take a trip to your local Mosque, Temple or Church
- Take a different route to work
- Start to learn a new language
- Volunteer with an organisation that you would not normally
- Take up mentoring
- Start following people that think differently to you on Social media and start some conversations
- Spend some time with someone whose views you disagree with.
There are of course many others – what else would you recommend?
Come back and update us in the comments section below on:
- What did you learn from your experience?
- What would you do differently next time?
- How do you feel as a result of doing this?
© Julia Middleton