Why join the course?
This free course will cover all aspects of the use of digital photography in dental practice: intra-oral, extra-oral, and portraits. Participants will be taken through photography, from the basics of choosing correct equipment and setting it up, to optimum settings, techniques for consistent imaging and the safe storage of images.
The course is taught by the team that delivers the online masters degree course in Advanced General Dental Practice from the School of Dentistry at the University of Birmingham UK, and will involve about five hours per week of your time.
Quotes from previous learners:
“That was fantastic. I feel I have a great grasp on the settings on my camera and flash and what they all mean, and feel quite confident to take photographs of patients that I can use for practice promotion and records. Thanks so much!” - Andrea Lakatos
“I really enjoyed this course and I finally understand the settings in my camera. Thanks Mike for making every lesson so easy and keeping me motivated!!” - Vania Wassel Antich
“Fantastic course! Can’t wait to share what I’ve learnt with the rest of the girls at work. Thank you so much!” - Hollie Williams
What topics will you cover?
- Theory and practice of using photography in dental practice
- The varied uses in dentistry of visual material in the form of images on computer and in print
- Choice of correct equipment systems for efficient use of time and resources
- Confidentiality and ethical use of images
- Techniques for producing high quality images suitable for teaching and marketing
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the best equipment and accessories to deliver the photography required
- Reflect upon the approach to photography, and the impact on the day-to-day function of their practice
- Engage members of staff in the advantages of correct training and implementation of those skills
- Produce consistently good images with the minimum effect on treatment times and patient comfort
Who is the course for?
No previous knowledge is necessary, but there will be certain requirements in terms of equipment necessary to complete the course - particularly access to a digital SLR camera. Detailed advice on choosing a camera will be given at the start of the course, but if you’re keen to get a head start, then you can download Equipment Recommendations (PDF, 232k).
The course is designed to be of interest and applicable to all members of the dental team.
Time spent by UK dental professionals on this course will count as non-verifiable CPD.
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLdental to talk about this course on social media.