Explore the latest in Diversity, Equality and Inclusivity with Samsung and use empathetic Design Thinking to shape the future.
Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Designing for a Diverse and Inclusive Future
In a year defined by inequality, learn how to design a future of equity
Are you curious about the possibilities technology can bring to solve pressing issues of Diversity, Equality and Inclusion in the UK?
On this course, you’ll hear from a diverse range of passionate voices from around the UK, including Audrey Indome, Tolani Shoneye, and Milena Sanchez from The Receipts Podcast; as well as experts, including Safiya Ahmed (Graphic designer and co-founder of Ricebox Studio), Charlene Hunter (CEO & Founder of Coding Black Females) and Charlie Dark (DJ, Poet and Founder of Run Dem Crew).
Empathy in Design Thinking increases the opportunities that technology can bring
By the end of this course you will be able to identify and interpret challenges and opportunities when designing a future where diversity, equality and inclusivity is not just a sideline, but a lifestyle.
You’ll develop an understanding of the fundamentals of design thinking – a non-linear and iterative process used by many technology companies, like Samsung, to solve problems and create innovative solutions.
Crucially, you’ll also learn the importance of empathy in developing powerful solutions to diversity and inclusivity challenges.
A playful and confident attitude to ideation
You’ll come away feeling educated and inspired to really drive change for yourselves, your community, and the world.
Throughout this course, you’ll build your confidence in planning, and articulating your own empathetic design ideas to bring the future of diversity, equality and inclusivity to life.
Samsung’s Solve for Tomorrow
This course forms part of Samsung’s Solve for Tomorrow programme, offering young people a chance to explore the role tech can play in solving some of society’s biggest issues.
Design the future. No qualifications needed.
An introduction to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
Welcome to the course
In this activity, you’ll meet Samsung and the team of experts guiding you through this course including Solve for Tomorrow Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI) Ambassadors - The Receipts Podcast.
Creative tech for social good
In this activity, Safiya Ahmed will draw on her experience as an educator and designer to show you how you can use creative technology for social good.
Ecosystems of change
In this activity, Charlene Hunter Founder of Coding Black Females will guide you to discover your passion within technology.
In this first activity you’ll be guided through an introduction to Design Thinking, exploring what it means to have a Design Thinking mindset before mastering the process to help you bring your ideas to life.
Lets build the future
In this next activity you’ll learn how the medium of radio and the power of community could help you to step into your light and become a changemaker of the future. Charlie Dark leads the way.
Putting Design Thinking into practice
In this final activity, you’ll be putting the Design Thinking principles you learnt about earlier into action.
In this final activity you’ll recap on what you’ve covered in this course and find out about ways to continue your learning journey and #DesignTheFuture with Samsung’s #SolveForTomorrow.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and join a global classroom of learners. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on how diversity and inclusivity relates to you today.
- Compare and discuss diversity and inclusivity in the UK today.
- Identify and interpret opportunities and challenges when designing a future where learning is a lifestyle.
- Explore the opportunities that technology can bring when designing for a diverse and inclusive future.
- Understand the fundamentals of design thinking.
- Develop an understanding of the importance of empathy when design thinking.
- Develop a playful attitude to ideation in response to the proposition: Designing for a Diverse and Inclusive Future.
Who is the course for?
This course is for young people aged 16-25 from across the UK who are interested in learning how to innovate and drive positive change for themselves, their communities, and the world.
If you are curious about the possibilities of technology and are passionate about Diversity, Equality and Inclusion, this course is for you. No formal education experience required.
Samsung are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get:
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.