Differentiation for Learning
Duration 5 weeks
Weekly study 3 hours
Extra benefits From $84 Find out more
Learn effective differentiation for learning to enable all students to progress
Every student is different, entering classrooms with varying ideas and understanding. This course will help you improve your understanding and use of differentiating for learning for both primary and secondary education.
You will explore the key principles of effective differentiation for learning, see how teachers use these approaches in their classrooms, and learn how to differentiate for learning by task. Real classroom footage and examples are provided from science and maths lessons.
You will leave the course feeling confident in your ability to respond to evidence of your students’ learning and address their different needs.
What topics will you cover?
Week 1: Key principles of differentiating for learning
- Everyone can develop knowledge, understanding and skills
- All students need to be challenged in their thinking in order to learn
- All learners in the classroom need to be motivated to learn
Week 2: Importance of diagnosing current levels of understanding
- How does assessment for learning and differentiating for learning link
- Assessing understanding
- Modelled diagnostic activities
Weeks 3 and 4: Differentiating for learning by task
- Different ways of differentiating the learning
- Enabling students to access the learning
- Differentiating for learning by task - pyramids of learning
- Differentiating for learning by task - quadrants
- Enabling students to access the learning through scaffolding
- Differentiating for learning by task - thinking organisers and help desks
Week 5: Evaluating practice and next steps
- Reflecting on learning
- Linking back to key principles
Differentiation for Learning builds upon formative assessment concepts introduced in:
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
Who is the course for?
This course is for teachers, curriculum leaders, teaching assistants, newly qualified teachers, trainee teachers and others involved in teaching Science, Engineering, Technology, Computing or Maths. It’s suitable for educators working at primary, secondary or further education (ages 5-19 years).
Teachers of other disciplines will find the course useful to extend their thinking about how to support all learners they teach.
Who will you learn with?
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLSTEMDifferentiation to talk about this course on social media.