This course is part of the Digital Marketing Strategy ExpertTrack
Digital Marketing Strategy: Situation Analysis
Unpack PR Smith's SOSTAC® framework for planning and implementing an effective digital marketing strategy.
Weekly study4 hours
100% onlineHow it works
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/monthFind out more
Digital Marketing Strategy: Situation Analysis
Discover the principles of a successful digital marketing strategy
In a world of acronyms, SOSTAC® is one that any successful digital marketer should be aware of.
Created by PR Smith, SOSTAC® stands for Situation Analysis, Objectives, Strategy and/or Strategic Positioning, Tactics, Action and Control. It’s a valuable framework to help you develop your marketing strategy.
This two-week course, designed by digital marketing experts Target Internet and The Open University, will provide you with a key overview of the framework and how you can use it in practice.
Explore the role of SOSTAC® in developing an effective digital marketing strategy
You’ll gain an introduction into how each step can support your strategic planning. You’ll cover the importance of using insight to guide your objective setting and discover why strategic positioning is key in determining your overarching approach.
You’ll also find out how SOSTAC® can help you think strategically about your tactics and how to put them into action, considering resources and which tools and processes to use. Furthermore, you’ll be introduced to ways to review, measure, and iterate your strategy with SOSTAC®’s control process.
Understand how to carry out situation analysis
You’ll discover how to carry out the first ‘S’ in SOSTAC® - ‘Situation Analysis’. This will include examining external data about things like channel adoption and usage, and internal data to gauge how effective your current approach is. You’ll also define your user personas and map out existing user journeys.
Learn essential skills from digital marketing experts
You’ll learn with Target Internet who have provided expertise to leading brands including the BBC, Sony, Tesco, Vodafone, Mercedes, L’Oreal, and Warner Bros.
What topics will you cover?
- SOSTAC® in perspective
- Exploring the steps of SOSTAC®
- Situation analysis in perspective
- External insights
- Internal insights
- Organisational capability
Prove you're job ready
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Explore the role of planning frameworks in developing an effective digital marketing strategy
- Identify the need for insights to help decide on the most appropriate objectives, strategy and tactical plans
- Demonstrate the role of setting objectives and having a measurement approach to report on progress against these goals
- Evaluate the need for an overarching strategy that can then be implemented using tactical plans
Who is the course for?
This course is ideal for those who are interested in deepening their understanding of digital marketing strategy as part of their overall approach to digital marketing.
It will be of particular interest to anyone wishing to further their studies in marketing, communications and business more generally.
Who will you learn with?
MD TargetInternet.com - helping upskill the world's leading organisations in Digital Marketing & Digital Transformation.
Host of the Digital Marketing Podcast, a global top 20 business podcast.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Target Internet delivers digital training to some of the world’s leading organisations, as well as building online learning that is used in over 100 countries worldwide. As publishers of the global Digital Marketing Skills Benchmark and the Digital Marketing Podcast, they have unrivalled access to market insights and expertise.
Start learning today - free 7-day trial
After your free trial you can:
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn