Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 2 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Online Display Advertising: Formats and Creative
Learn to make best use of formats and creative to appeal to your target audience
The best online display advertising campaigns use a combination of formats and creative for different situations.
On this two-week course, you’ll learn how to make the best use of the online advertising formats and creative options available to make your ads relevant and appealing to your target audience.
Discover how to use different online display ad formats in a variety of situations
You’ll learn about image, video, and mobile formats, from clickable banners to expandable ads, interstitial full-screen displays, and video ads. You’ll look at various creative options, best practices, and what to consider when selecting your format, including the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) and standard ad sizes, and app-specific ad formats.
You’ll also learn about advertising on websites and third-party apps using app-specific platforms or networks like the Google Display Network, plus the technical factors you need to consider, such as load time and file sizes.
Explore best-practice ad format creative examples
Looking at best practice in online advertising, you’ll reflect on what you can learn from successful creative examples. You’ll consider the variety of sizes, whether to display images with or without animation, and how to create display campaigns that are not disruptive or annoying for your target audience.
By the end, you’ll know about the formats and options available including which ones are best to use and when, and the technical factors you need to think about to maximise the impact of your online display campaigns.
Learn from digital marketing experts, Target Internet with The Open University
This course is designed by experts who keep up to date with the latest trends, providing expertise to brands such as the BBC, Sony, Tesco, Vodafone, Mercedes, L’Oreal and Warner Bros.
- Understand the role of different online display formats for different situations
- The IAB and standard ad sizes and formats
- Technical factors and load time
- Graphical ad formats
- Video ad formats
- Mobile ad formats
- Creative best practice examples
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify how different online display formats should be used in different situations
- Compare the range of different online display formats available across image, video, and mobile specific formats
- Explore the core technical factors that need to be considered such as load time and file sizes
- Reflect on what best practice online advertising looks like and what you can learn from examples
Who is the course for?
This course is ideal for those who are interested in increasing their understanding of online display advertising marketing as part of their overall approach to digital marketing.
It will be of particular interest to anyone wishing to further their studies and practical knowledge of marketing, communications, and business.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Target Internet delivers digital training to some of the world’s leading organisations, as well as building online learning that is used in over 100 countries worldwide. As publishers of the global Digital Marketing Skills Benchmark and the Digital Marketing Podcast, they have unrivalled access to market insights and expertise.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends