Weekly study3 hours
Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 3 of 4
Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Online Display Advertising: Targeting Options
Discover audience targeting options for effective online display advertising
Targeting your online display advertising helps you focus a campaign or ad group on audiences who meet specific criteria so you can increase visibility and ensure adverts resonate with those who see them.
On this two-week course, you’ll be guided through the range of targeting options and what you need to consider to select the best option for your online display campaign to drive a positive return on investment (ROI) from your ad spend.
Explore the different online display ad targeting options
You’ll explore the range of online targeting available, starting with basic options most commonly used in advertising platforms, such as geographic, demographic, and device targeting. Then you’ll move onto contextual advertising, topic and interest-based targeting, lookalike audiences, and retargeting. You’ll also look at the connection between targeting and ad costs.
Learn to choose the right targeting options to improve ad performance
You’ll learn about automatic targeting, programmatic targeting, and how retargeting can be used to help progress audiences through their online journey. You’ll also explore the future of targeting and the use of artificial intelligence (AI) within platforms.
By the end of this course, you’ll know how to select and make the best use of the wide range of online display targeting options and techniques to drive improved campaign results without irritating your audience.
Learn from industry experts, Target Internet, with The Open University
You’ll benefit from practical training content created by digital experts who have years of experience, having worked with leading brands like the BBC, Sony, Tesco, Vodafone, Mercedes, L’Oreal and Warner Bros.
- Understand the role of different online display targeting options for different situations
- Audience vs. content-based targeting
- The targeting and ad cost connection
- Demographic, geographic and device targeting
- Topic and interest-based targeting
- Retargeting and lookalike audience targeting
- Automatic targeting and AI in online display advertising
Highlight the new, job-relevant skills you’ve gained and supplement existing qualifications with a hard-earned, industry-specific digital certificate – plus one for every course within your ExpertTrack.
- Learn the latest in your chosen industry or subject.
- Complete each course and pass assessments.
- Receive certificates validated by the educating organisation.
- Impress employers with learning outcomes you can add to your CV.
- Make your career dreams a reality.
Download a PDF
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify how different online display targeting should be used in different situations
- Explain the range of different online display targeting options available
- Describe the role of retargeting and its role in using online display advertising for progressing audiences through their online journey
- Explore the future of targeting and the use of AI within online ad platforms
Who is the course for?
This course is ideal for those who are interested in gaining an understanding of online display advertising as part of their overall approach to digital marketing.
It will be of particular interest to anyone wishing to further their studies and practical knowledge of marketing, communications, and business.
Who developed the course?
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Target Internet delivers digital training to some of the world’s leading organisations, as well as building online learning that is used in over 100 countries worldwide. As publishers of the global Digital Marketing Skills Benchmark and the Digital Marketing Podcast, they have unrivalled access to market insights and expertise.
- Pay $39 per month to keep learning online
- Have complete control over your subscription; you can cancel any time
- Work at your own pace and set your own deadlines at every stage
- Only pay while you’re learning; the subscription will cancel automatically when you finish
- Complete online assessments to test your knowledge and prove your skills
- Earn digital course certificates and a final award that you can share online, with potential employers, and your professional network
- Keep access to the content of courses you complete even after your subscription ends