Develop your attitudes, skills and knowledge of cultural diversity so you're able to create inclusive environments.
Weekly study3 hours
Understanding Diversity and Inclusion
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Learn how to create a more inclusive world
Many things contribute to an individual’s identity, including race, ethnicity, gender, age, appearance, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, education, and political beliefs. These things, and more, are what make each of us different. So how can we learn to embrace these differences, and celebrate them? Or to put it in a different way - how can we explore and welcome diversity?
This course will help you develop your knowledge and understanding of diversity, equipping you to create more inclusive and open environments that are welcome to all.
What topics will you cover?
- Phases of diversity dexterity
- Attitudes, skills, and knowledge supporting diversity
- Unconscious biases
- Ethnocentric and ethno-relative mindsets
- Elements of diversity and inclusion
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe stages of diversity dexterity
- Explore attitudes, skills, and knowledge supporting diversity
- Evaluate unconscious biases
- Investigate ethnocentric and ethno-relative mindsets
- Engage elements of inclusion
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone looking to improve their attitude, skills, and knowledge for effective work with different people. You might be a student preparing for the world of work, or a HR worker or corporate trainer, or you could be a professional working in marketing. You don’t need any prior experience.
Who will you learn with?
I teach at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana, USA and facilitate the intercultural development of faculty, staff and students. I am a member of the Purdue University Teaching Academy.
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLDiversityandInclusion to talk about this course on social media.