Weekly study3 hours
Business Fundamentals: Effective Networking
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
Build your network and personal brand online and in the real world
Networking is a fundamental business skill, which will help you take control of your career. Understanding the benefits of business networking, and how to overcome common networking barriers is a valuable skill.
This online course introduces the principles of effective networking, which will help develop your personal brand.
You’ll learn how to analyse the value of your existing connections, and find out how to create and manage your digital presence for networking on social media platforms such as LinkedIn and Facebook.
You’ll also learn how to write an elevator pitch and get feedback on it from the course educators.
- Nature and benefits of networking
- Barriers to networking and how to overcome them
- Frameworks for self-assessment and communicating professional strengths and interests
- Interpersonal skills including giving and receiving feedback, listening and using appropriate body language
- Online communication in a professional context
- Fundamentals of brand equity as applied to individuals
- Monitoring, evaluation and planning for improving the mutual value of networking activity
Date to be announced
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Apply the principles of effective networking
- Improve your impression-management skills in a professional context
- Develop your analytical and prioritisation skills
- Identify, select and use online tools to enhance your digital presence
- Develop the potential of your personal brand
Who is the course for?
This course is intended for anyone looking to enhance and develop their professional network in order to open up opportunities and strengthen their professional relationships.
The course does not require any previous experience of studying networking.
For further information about registration, the final assessment course, your eligibility and the BA in Business Management, visit the Open University website.
IMPORTANT! If you are aiming to use your study of courses in the Business and Finance Fundamentals program to obtain academic credit, please be aware that the final planned presentation of the Open University Assessment Course.
Who developed the course?
As the UK’s largest university, The Open University (OU) supports thousands of students to achieve their goals and ambitions via supported distance learning, helping to fit learning around professional and personal life commitments.
LocationMilton Keynes, UK
World rankingTop 510Source: Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.