Weekly study5 hours
Other courses you might like
This course isn't running right now. We can email you when it starts again, or check out these other courses you might like.
We’ll show you, line by line, how to program interactive synthesizers, drum machines and even algorithmic music systems that can generate music automatically.
You’ll also find out how to develop user interfaces with knobs, sliders and other elements.
The music software and user interfaces you make will run in any web browser that supports the Web Audio API, including Safari on iOS and Chrome on Android.
What topics will you cover?
- Sound synthesis
- Drum machine and sampled sound
- Musical user interfaces
- Algorithmic composition and algorave
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Synthesise audio in real-time in web browsers using the Web Audio API
- Design sound synthesis algorithms
- Apply clocks and triggers to play back sampled sounds in rhythmic patterns
- Design user interfaces that allow non-coders to control your electronic music software
- Apply algorithmic music techniques to generate music automatically using probability and rules
Who is the course for?
This course requires access to a computer with an up to date web browser and a sound output.
Who will you learn with?
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLmusictools to talk about this course on social media.