Discover the history of encryption and learn how it's used in the modern world
On this course, you will learn about what encryption is and understand its use in the past by using the Caesar and Vigenère ciphers.
You will also look at the present and future of encryption and investigate both symmetric and asymmetric encryption schemes.
The course includes several practical encryption activities which you can complete and use in your own classroom.
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the general process of encryption and decryption
- Apply a Caesar Cipher and a Vigenère Cipher
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of different encryption algorithms
- Compare symmetric and asymmetric encryption
- Demonstrate methods of breaking simple encryption schemes
- Describe how encryption is used in the modern world, and some of the possible ethical implications of this
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for teachers delivering computer science lessons in the classroom, at GCSE level or equivalent.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get: