Understand the needs of people with dementia, and how to better support them and enhance their wellbeing towards the end of life.
Weekly study3 hours
Premium course$69What's included?
End-of-Life Care for People with Dementia
Find out how to better support people with dementia at the end of life
A range of research has shown that the end-of-life care needs of people with dementia, and their families, are poorly understood and inconsistently addressed.
An awareness of the psychosocial, physical and spiritual needs of the whole person is key to tackling this issue - something that this online course will give you.
You’ll develop the knowledge and understanding that will help you provide better quality support to - and enhance the wellbeing and dignity of - people with dementia towards the end of life. You’ll also learn to better communicate and co-ordinate care with their families.
What topics will you cover?
- Connecting with others
- Advance care planning
- Expressing self
- Wellbeing at the end of life
- Nutrition and hydration
- Symptom management
- Finding meaning
- Specialist support
- Supporting families through grief
Learning on this course
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Discuss individualised care, taking into account psycho-social, physical and spiritual needs
- Reflect on how social relationships and communication may be affected in advanced dementia
- Identify symptoms associated with end of life, including recognising and managing pain in people with dementia
- Explain the need to find meaning in the life and death of the person with dementia
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at health and social care professionals. You’ll need a basic level of dementia awareness, which you may have gained in a health or social care setting, working with people with dementia, or through caring for a relative, friend or neighbour.
During the course, you’ll be able to discuss your experiences with other learners and learn from theirs. It may also be useful to you to have a friend or colleague with whom you can discuss and reflect on issues that might arise during the course.
What do people say about this course?
Who will you learn with?
I'm a Senior Lecturer in the School of Health Sciences at the University of East Anglia
This is a premium course. These courses are designed for professionals from specific industries looking to learn with a smaller group of like-minded individuals.
- Learn best practices from experts
- Learn from the experience of other health professionals
- Fit learning around your schedule with unlimited access
- Get evidence of learning outcomes and CPD hours
- Certificate of Achievement to prove your success when you're eligible
- Download and print your Certificate of Achievement anytime
Learning on FutureLearn
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps to help you keep track of your learning
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate
Want to know more about learning on FutureLearn? Using FutureLearn
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Do you know someone who'd love this course? Tell them about it...
More courses you might like
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.