What topics will you cover?
- Stories of our ancestors showing the immense value, but real difficulties of energy use including burning trees and whale oil
- Creative ways our ancestors dealt with drought and how rain impacted population
- How we talk about energy, what is it, and how much of it we use
- The long process of how the Earth makes fossil fuels
- US Energy use and the US economy
- The formation and origins of fossil fuels (oil, coal and gas)
- The physics of global warming and the history of carbon dioxide
- Climate models using natural and anthropogenic forcings
- The history of global warming including The Great Dying, PETM and the Ice Ages
- The Projection Project and the impacts of increased CO2 on the planet
When would you like to start?
What will you achieve?
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for anyone at any level, with an interest in how energy, the environment and our future are interrelated.
Get extra benefits, upgrade this course. For $79 you’ll get:
Upgrading will mean you get unlimited access to the course.
If you’re taking a course for free you have access to the course for its duration + 14 days, regardless of when you join. If you upgrade the course you have access for as long as the course exists on FutureLearn.
Access to tests
When you upgrade you’ll have access to any tests during the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to take any tests and score over 70%. You don’t get access to tests if you choose to take a course for free.
A Certificate of Achievement
Upgrading means you’ll receive a Certificate of Achievement when you complete the course.
To receive a Certificate of Achievement you need to mark 90% of the steps on the course as complete, and score over 70% on any course tests.
Share this course
Use the hashtag #FLourenergyfuture to join and contribute to social media conversations about this course