Increase your knowledge of English for academic study
If you are preparing to study at a university where the first language is English, this course aims to help you understand what is expected, develop skills to help you learn independently, and build your confidence.
You will have the opportunity to review the key vocabulary and concepts used in a university setting, and discover what tutors expect from students. You will also have the opportunity to practise skills to help you expand your vocabulary for an academic setting, including tools to help you pronounce new words.
This course is part of the Pre-sessional English Online Award.
What topics will you cover?
- Key vocabulary and concepts for the UK university context
- Exploring the approach to teaching and learning in UK universities
- Developing dictionary skills
- Analysing word forms and word families
- Accessing and writing definitions
- Introduction to the phonemic chart and how to use it to support learning and pronunciation skills
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Interpret key academic terminology and explore its importance and relevance to successful UK university study.
- Identify key features and conventions of academic culture in the UK, both online and on campus.
- Apply the use of a dictionary to help you extend your academic vocabulary range.
- Record new words effectively.
- Identify the form of definitions, and produce your own.
- Produce the phonemic chart to help you pronounce new words.
Who is the course for?
This course is for any student who is planning to study at a university where English is the main language. It’s primarily for students whose first language is not English but will also be useful for students who are coming into higher education after a long period away from studying, or who are mature students looking for an opportunity to refresh their study skills. It will help to prepare students for both study on an online degree and at a university campus.
English for Academic Study is the first course on the Pre-sessional English Online Award delivered by Coventry University, which helps students improve their English language and academic skills for university study. The Award is aimed at students who are 0.5 IELTS below university entry requirements.
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
What's different about this course?
Since 2017 you have been able to take a degree on FutureLearn. This free course is a bit like a starter course for a degree — it should give you a flavour of the degree subject but can also be your first step towards a degree qualification.
If you enjoy this course you can apply to join the program it’s part of to start working towards a degree on FutureLearn.
Don’t worry, you can still take the course without doing a full degree!
How do degrees work on FutureLearn?
Which program and degree is this course part of?
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLpse to talk about this course on social media.