Acquire the skills to understand and use English for Academic Purposes
Each year thousands of students travel across Europe and the world to follow university courses through English. This can be daunting, even for those who are fluent.
This online course, developed within the MOVE-ME project by UniStraSi, NUI Galway, The Open University and CTI will guide you through the features of academic discourse in English, and enable you to understand and produce written and aural academic texts.
1 ECTS credit is awarded by completing the course, taking the final test and obtaining the Certificate of Achievement.
What topics will you cover?
- Week 1 is an introduction to the MOOC itself and to the concept of ‘academic’ discourse.
- Week 2 focuses on developing skills and strategies when listening to academic talks.
- Week 3 concentrates on developing skills and strategies necessary for reading academic texts.
- Week 4 focuses on acquiring and/or enhancing skills and strategies for writing academic texts.
- Week 5 is devoted to speaking in academic contexts such as how to structure and give academic oral presentations.
- Week 6 is a summary of the course with closing remarks, activities and the final test.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at university students taking part in student mobility programmes in Europe, and anyone following academic courses in English. A minimum B1 knowledge of English is required.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLAcademicEnglish to talk about this course on social media.