Weekly study3 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
An Intermediate Guide to Writing in English for University Study
Develop the English skills required for extended writing projects and essays.
On this course you will expand your academic writing skill set and learn how to produce a thorough and high standard extended essay.
You’ll get an introduction to research tools, analysing an essay question, developing your argument, searching for credible sources and referencing, as well as learning more about the fundamentals like planning an essay structure, proof-reading and avoiding plagiarism. You’ll have the opportunity to practise researching and writing your own paragraphs for an essay as well as giving and receiving feedback.
Whether you’re a prospective undergraduate or postgraduate, or are currently undertaking university-level study, this course will give you the confidence you need to research, write and reference academic essays and extended writing projects.
Learning on this course
You can take this self-guided course and learn at your own pace. On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Identify the features of good academic writing.
- Interpret essay questions, generate ideas and structure your text.
- Improve your research and reading skills to find relevant and reliable information.
- Experiment with different note-taking methods.
- Develop expertise in constructing paragraphs that support your argument.
- Explore how to reference other people’s work properly, incorporate quotations and avoid plagiarism.
- Compare tips on how to approach introductions and conclusions
- Reflect on the importance of proof-reading and collaboration.
- Practise grammatical sentence construction to improve your writing
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at anyone interested in undertaking academic study in English, but it may be of particular interest to international students. You will require an IELTS English level of 5.5 and above.
If you’re new to academic writing, you may like to take A Beginner’s Guide to Writing in English for University Study before or alongside this course.
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.