- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
- Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Lessons and Teaching
This focused teacher CPD course is for English language teachers who would like to improve their lesson plans, teaching resources, and overall professional development.
This course hones four professional practices that will improve your confidence and development based on the British Council’s teacher development framework. Upon completion of this course, you will have considered and improved your:
Lesson and course plans Teaching resource management Lesson management Responsibility for professional development
Improve your TEFL lesson plans and teaching resources
Quality lesson plans and teaching resources are the first tools in a teacher’s arsenal to ensure that their students achieve their learning outcomes and enjoy the journey to English fluency. You’ll hear from experienced teachers on how they approach their lesson plans, and will have the opportunity to analyse English lessons to see the application of those plans and resources.
Learn with English language teachers worldwide
Each week will focus on one of these practices. Short video interviews with experienced teachers will be combined with classroom films from around the world to illustrate the main points of each week.
Video tutors, Suzanne and Claire, will guide you through each week’s content, offering tips, advice and downloadable resources at every stage.
You’ll be asked to share your own experiences and opinions as you become part of a global community of English language teachers discussing what leads to success.
Planning lessons and courses
- Why and how do teachers plan lessons and courses.
- What are the key factors to consider?
- Identifying aims and stages in your own and others’ lessons.
- Making the most of the resources available to you.
- The role of technology.
- Using flashcards and realia.
- Board work, sharing resources with others.
Managing the lesson
- Factors that influence learning.
- Teacher language and the use of L1.
- Pair and group work.
- Engaging learners.
Taking responsibility for professional development
- Peer observation.
- Identifying professional development needs.
- Personal learning networks.
- Reflective practice.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Compare teaching approaches and experience with others from around the world.
- Discuss factors involved in planning lessons and courses.
- Identify the benefits of resources and the role of technology.
- Explore classroom management and factors that influence learning.
- Reflect on professional development needs and practices.
Who is the course for?
This course is aimed at English language teachers at all levels. You will need an intermediate level English (around B1 on the CEFR) in order to engage with the course materials.
Understand and plan your professional development as an EFL teacher, with this flexible teaching ExpertTrack.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLsuccessfulLessons to talk about this course on social media.