- Duration2 weeks
- Weekly study2 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Digital upgradeFree
Evidence and Data Collection for Problem Solving
Discover how data can be used to solve problems and make decisions
As the digital world plays an increasingly large role in our daily lives, so too does the use of data.
On this course, you’ll be introduced to key data concepts as you learn how to solve simple, everyday problems using data.
You’ll discover data ethics and the restrictions that exist in using other people’s data. You’ll also learn how to present data in a meaningful way that’s easy to understand through data visualisation techniques.
To give real-world context to your learning, you’ll examine these data concepts through the case study of a small business owner.
- Explore the notion of data and what that actually means
- Learn the key terminology related to dealing with data
- Explore how data can be used to solve problems
- Explore individual sets of data that can be brought together to form datasets, which can then be used for greater insights
- Explore the ethics and rules of using other people’s data
- Learn how to turn data into something visual and easy to understand
When would you like to start?
Start straight away and learn at your own pace. If the course hasn’t started yet you’ll see the future date listed below.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Describe the difference between data, metadata and knowledge
- Summarise how data is used to solve problems
- Interpret trends and analyse patterns from a dataset
- Debate the ethical considerations of data collection
- Produce a plan to solve a problem with evidence and data
- Apply a simple visualisation technique to make data easier to understand and work with
Who is the course for?
This course is designed for people who have digital skills but would like to build confidence in using digital technology in the workplace.
This may include those studying for A-levels, those who have a degree, or those who want to improve their career prospects.
The course will also be useful for anyone in employment who wants to boost their digital skills or anyone returning to the workplace who’d like to gain confidence in how working practices have evolved.
You might also be interested in the other courses in the Digital Skills for the Workplace collection from the University of Leeds and the Institute of Coding.
University of Leeds are offering everyone who joins this course a free digital upgrade, so that you can experience the full benefits of studying online for free. This means that you get: