- Duration4 weeks
- Weekly study3 hours
- 100% onlineTry this course for free
- Included in an ExpertTrackCourse 1 of 3
- Get full ExpertTrack access$39/month
Language and Culture
On this course, you will learn about British life and culture, and improve your English language skills and knowledge.
Through short videos, you will learn about different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK, including English as a global language, the countryside, music, and literature. Filmed in Great Britain, these videos will help you to develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English. You will also examine some of the language used in the videos and analyse its use and learn how to use it again in practice.
English: the global language
- Why is English so widely used?
- How does technology help you learn?
- Language focus: passives
- Useful expressions
Music: making a difference
- What does British music mean to you?
- Music and society
- Language focus: clauses
Countryside: a green and pleasant land
- What do people think about the British countryside?
- A visit to the Lake District in north-west England
- A look at the different parts of the UK
- Language focus: description
Literature: books and identity
- British literature
- Shakespeare and the Globe Theatre
- Anniversaries in British literature
- Language focus: comparatives and superlatives
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK.
- Explore English as a global language.
- Develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English.
- Reflect on language in use.
- Develop language skills and practise using new language.
- Discuss the countryside, music, and literature.
Who is the course for?
This British Council course is aimed at non-native English speakers who want to improve their English while exploring British culture. It would best suit those with intermediate English language skills; B1 on the CEFR or equivalent.
Improve your English language skills while discovering key aspects of British culture, from Shakespeare to live music, and more.
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLlearnenglish to talk about this course on social media.