Why join the course?
On this online English course, you will learn about British life and culture, and improve your English language skills and knowledge.
Through short videos, you will learn about different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK, including English as a global language, the countryside, music, and literature. Filmed in Great Britain, these videos will help you to develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English. You will also examine some of the language used in the videos and analyse its use and learn how to use it again in practice.
This English language course draws on the British Council’s expertise in online learning. On this British Council courses page you can find out more about the other courses they offer for people who are learning and teaching English.
You can find out more about this course in Chris Cavey’s post for the FutureLearn blog: 3 tips for getting the most out of Exploring English.
What topics will you cover?
English: the global language
- Why is English so widely used?
- How does technology help you learn?
- Language focus: passives
- Useful expressions
Music: making a difference
- What does British music mean to you?
- Music and society
- Language focus: clauses
Countryside: a green and pleasant land
- What do people think about the British countryside?
- A visit to the Lake District in north-west England
- A look at the different parts of the UK
- Language focus: description
Literature: books and identity
- British literature
- Shakespeare and the Globe Theatre
- Anniversaries in British literature
- Language focus: comparatives and superlatives
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK
- Explore English as a global language
- Develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English
- Reflect on language in use
- Develop language skills and practise using new language
- Discuss the countryside, music, and literature
Who is the course for?
This course is for non-native English speakers who have studied English to around intermediate level (approximately B1 on the CEFR).
See all FutureLearn Reviews
Join this course
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
for one year
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Do you know someone who’d love this course? Tell them about it...
You can use the hashtag #FLlearnenglish to talk about this course on social media.