Weekly study2 hours
100% onlineLearn at your own pace
Extra BenefitsFrom $59
Exploring English: Language and Culture
On this online English course, you will learn about British life and culture, and improve your English language skills and knowledge.
Through short videos, you will learn about different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK, including English as a global language, the countryside, music, and literature. Filmed in Great Britain, these videos will help you to develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English. You will also examine some of the language used in the videos and analyse its use and learn how to use it again in practice.
This English language course draws on the British Council’s expertise in online learning. On this British Council courses page you can find out more about the other courses they offer for people who are learning and teaching English.
You can find out more about this course in Chris Cavey’s post for the FutureLearn blog: 3 tips for getting the most out of Exploring English.
English: the global language
- Why is English so widely used?
- How does technology help you learn?
- Language focus: passives
- Useful expressions
Music: making a difference
- What does British music mean to you?
- Music and society
- Language focus: clauses
Countryside: a green and pleasant land
- What do people think about the British countryside?
- A visit to the Lake District in north-west England
- A look at the different parts of the UK
- Language focus: description
Literature: books and identity
- British literature
- Shakespeare and the Globe Theatre
- Anniversaries in British literature
- Language focus: comparatives and superlatives
Learning on this course
If you'd like to take part while our educators are leading the course, they'll be joining the discussions, in the comments, between these dates:
- 18 Oct 2021 - 14 Nov 2021
On every step of the course you can meet other learners, share your ideas and join in with active discussions in the comments.
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you‘ll be able to...
- Reflect on different popular culture topics as well as ways of life in the UK
- Explore English as a global language
- Develop your listening skills as you watch authentic examples of people speaking English
- Reflect on language in use
- Develop language skills and practise using new language
- Discuss the countryside, music, and literature
Who is the course for?
This course is for non-native English speakers who have studied English to around intermediate level (approximately B1 on the CEFR).
Who developed the course?
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language.
We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million people overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Join free and you will get:
Upgrade this course and you will get:
Buy Unlimited and you will get:
Learner reviews cannot be loaded due to your cookie settings. Please and refresh the page to view this content.
Learners who joined this course have also enjoyed these courses.